Select an image
The desktop image allows you to try Kubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of image is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 384MiB of RAM to install from this image.
There are three images available, each for a different type of computer:
- PC (Intel x86) desktop image
- For almost all PCs. This includes most machines with Intel/AMD/etc type processors and almost all computers that run Microsoft Windows, as well as newer Apple Macintosh systems based on Intel processors. Choose this if you are at all unsure.
- 64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image
- Choose this to take full advantage of computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon, Core 2). If you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support for 32-bit code, use the Intel x86 images instead.
- Mac (PowerPC) and IBM-PPC (POWER5) desktop image
- For Apple Macintosh G3, G4, and G5 computers, including iBooks and PowerBooks as well as IBM OpenPower machines.
The desktop image allows you to try Kubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. You will need at least 384MiB of RAM to install from this image.
There is one image available:
- Texas Instruments OMAP4 (Hard-Float) desktop image
- For OMAP4 boards. See ARM/OMAP for detailed installation information.
For ARM hardware for which we do not ship preinstalled images, see ARM/Server/Install for detailed installation information.
A full list of available files, including BitTorrent files, can be found below.